Thursday, December 10, 2009

Primary Source 2



The first image here is of the coronation of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon. The second is the coronation portrait of Elizabeth I. I was drawn to Elizabeth I during my research as an embodiment of the idea of transference of gender roles during the era. What I found interesting here is that she is presenting herself in very similar clothing and style to her male predecessors. The dress which does mark her specifically as feminine is as tamed as possible, with the armor-like corset shielding any distinguishing female aspects. It was a conscious decision to legitimize her claim on the throne. I found this quote from her speaking to her council prior to coronation:
"My lords, the law of nature moves me to sorrow for my sister; the burden that is fallen upon me makes me amazed, and yet, considering I am God's creature, ordained to obey His appointment, I will thereto yield, desiring from the bottom of my heart that I may have assistance of His grace to be the minister of His heavenly will in this office now committed to me. And as I am but one body naturally considered, though by His permission a body politic to govern, so shall I desire you all...to be assistant to me, that I with my ruling and you with your service may make a good account to Almighty God and leave some comfort to our posterity on earth. I mean to direct all my actions by good advice and counsel."
It makes clear her distinction between her nature (feminine, physical) and her spirit (political, and therefore masculine). While blurring lines of gender distinction, she takes care to mark it as God's will, therefore challenging anyone who would question her role.

No comments:

Post a Comment